Monday 17 January 2011

David Cameron

I have to admit that I can't quite fathom David Cameron out. Inherently I am suspicious of him because he has taken the Conservative party down a route that I cannot agree with. He has reneged on a promise for a referendum on the EU and he has turned his back on a hint that he wanted to replace the Human Rights Act with a British Bill of Rights.

As far as I am concerned he is not a Conservative. He is one of the new breed of metropoliticians...people who can merge and blend, renege and apologise but above all they stand for everything and oppose anything. You cannot tie them down to a policy or a promise or a belief. They are all things to all people but above all they talk. They use a method and a language which is difficult to tackle.

So now he announces an upheaval in the NHS and I would agree with his suggestions...but what is he up to? He knows that he is challenging the Health Service Unions (I wish he would challenge the Education Unions) but I think that it is necessary. We do have a problem with waste and the NHS trusts. A whole generation of Bonus Class professionals could lose their jobs and this might just herald the promise for 'A Bonfire of Quangos' which we have yet to witness.

I reserve judgement on David Cameron because he has been left a ridiculous legacy by NoLab.  How on Earth can NoLab be ahead on the Opinion Polls? Who are they asking? Are they touring the council estates or interviewing the Quango bosses as the BBC routinely do? I will save that for another day.

In the meantime I have to give David Cameron the benefit of the doubt. He has a really tough job and I just hope that he is up to it because if he isn't then we really have a problem. To return to NoLab and Ed Miliband would spell the definite end of an independent England. He would sell us to Europe as soon as look at us!

No comments: