Wednesday 6 February 2008

Capello's England!

Well we won but I'm afraid I wasn't really impressed. I know it was only a friendly and I know it was therefore only experimental and I also know that there are no easy victories in international football in this day and age but...I also know what good and attractive football looks like. I can also spot a good player and I want to see the players who can take us into the trenches in the next World Cup.

So who did we see tonight? Well I reckon that David Bentley is nailed on to take the old 'Beckham' role on the right flank. I also think that Joe Cole is in the Victor Meldrew's brother World Cup team and at this stage I will stop! I really believe that, of his type, Gareth Barry will probably come through because he can spot a pass and control a ball but I am not convinced about the rest.

I have a soft spot for Peter Crouch. He battles all the time and his freak stature makes him a problem for defences but he can also score goals from all angles which brings me to Wayne Rooney. Wazza is not a target man who can play alone up front. He plays off a target man (Crouch/Heskey/Dean Ashton/Kevin Davies) and we all know that he is effective at Premiership level. He has yet to prove in my eyes that he is an international player. His first touch is still dodgy and for all his power I would prefer to see some intelligence!

The same goes for Steven Gerard. He is all power, passion and pride but he needs to take a step back sometimes and produce the right pass at the right time. Joe Cole will produce a pass and so will Bentley and Barry but when does Gerard produce that killer ball?

So there it is, in my opinion we have 2/3 players ready for the next World Cup! Am I right? Does anyone care? My blank wall remains blank but never mind, when the time comes I will have the proof that I said it first (I hope!).

No comments: