Saturday 29 March 2008

A New Bowling Season

Yesterday evening I attended the pre-season meeting held by my lawn bowls club. It is at this time of year that we start to dream of the summer. People that you have not met all winter suddenly appear as if out of a cocoon and thoughts turn to long sunny days, pints of cold beer/lager, salads and meeting old friends from the opposition.

From the sidelines bowls appears to be quite a simple game but I have now been playing about seven years and I believe that only now am I beginning to get to grips with the game. No doubt the intricacies of the greens this year will once again prove me wrong. You see it isn't just each green that is different it is each rink on each green that differ and the really good players can read it almost immediately.

Last year we won our league and got promoted to the District Division One. This year we face the big boys. It could be an interesting year! I will keep you posted.

No comments: